A Content Management System (CMS) is an Internet based software that allows you to organize and keep track of text, photos, videos, documents on your website. At Red Flag we provide web-solutions integrating the main open source CMS leaders in the market – WordPress, Joomla or Drupal – in order to increase scalability and robustness, ease the ability to deal with maintenance and upgrades, and reduce the overall project cost. As free open source CMS WordPress, Joomla and Drupal instantly provide websites with content editing, publishing and reviewing features through a web-based user friendly interface so the end-user doesn't need to have any IT skill in order to manage the website's content. Moreoever thanks to the beauty of open-source there are hundreds of plugins that extend what a CMS does. Therefore the actual functionality of any CMS is nearly limitless.
Standard CMS Features (free)
On top of basic text editing features – copy, paste, delete, etc. – any CMS has the following ones (and more)
- Pages Management Create / Edit / Publish / Delete • Page
- Text Content Add / Update / Delete • Text Content.
- Links Add / Delete • Links.
- Images Upload / Resize / Delete • Images.
- Videos Upload / Add / Delete • Videos.
- Basic SEO Add / Update / Delete • Keywords / Website Description
- Web Traffic Analytics Add / Update / Delete • Google Analytics / Other Analytics
- Examples of free plugins Banner Management, Google Maps, Social Networking, etc. Whenever a suitable plugin is found for a project we simply use it rather than re-inventing the wheel.
- Templates Upload / Activate • Template. Some templates are so well designed that only basic customisation – logo, colours – is the only design bit left to do
WordPress (Free Open Source CMS)
- Full standards compliance WordPress generated code is in full compliance with the standards of the W3C, which is important not only for interoperability with today's browser but also for forward compatibility with the tools of the next generation.
- Themes / Templates WordPress comes with a full theme system which makes designing any website straight forward.
- SPAM Protection Out of the box WordPress comes with very robust tools such as an integrated blacklist and open proxy checker to manage and eliminate comment spam on your blog.
- Multiple authors WordPress' highly advanced user system allows up to 10 levels of users, with different levels having different (and configurable) privileges with regard to publishing, editing, options, and other users.
- More WordPress Key Features
Joomla (Free Open Source CMS)
- Template Management Templates in Joomla are a powerful way to make your site look exactly the way you want and either use a single template for the entire site or a separate template for each site section.
- SPAM Protection On public Web sites, built-in e-mail cloaking protects email addresses from spambots.
- User Management Joomla has a registration system that allows users to configure personal options. There are nine user groups with various types of permissions on what users are allowed to access, edit, publish and administrate.
- Banner Management It's easy to set up banners on your Web site using the Banner Manager, starting with creating a client profile. Once you add campaigns and as many banners as you need, you can set impression numbers, special URLs, and more.
- More Joomla Features Overview
Drupal (Free Open Source CMS)
- Organize & Find Drupal comes with many tools to help you organize, structure, find and re-use your content.
- Creative Content Manage content with an easy-to-use web interface. Drupal's flexibility handles countless content types including video, text, blog, podcasts, and polls with robust user management, menu handling, real-time statistics and optional revision control.
- Design & Display Drupal's presentation layer allows designers to create templates. An existing Drupal template can be used for your site giving it an instant identity.
- Users Administration Drupal comes with great options for new user accounts and user permissions. Users can be assigned one or more roles, and each role can be set up with fine-grained permissions allowing users view and create only what the administrator permits.
- More Drupal CMS Benefits
That depends on your existing website and where you want to go. At Red Flag after a bit of search we show our customers what the different options are and assess them in order to come up with a cost efficient solution that dramatically reduces time-to-market. As a matter of fact we spend more time analyzing than coding in order to find the simplest and most elegant solution. And by the way we don't bill our customers for all the free stuff listed above but for the added value we bring.